[this space intentionally left blank]

4.01.2005

Rebekah Hope Gamwell - January 4, 1983 - May 18, 2002

when i installed windows (yes, i know, i'm not a very good geek) yesterday, i quickly got sick of the blah blue background. so i started looking for a pic to stick on there. usually i pick a wacky picture of my siblings or something else that will give me a smile. but this time i gravitated towards the folder containing a bunch of pictures of Bekah Gamwell. i decided to pick this one:

 

Rebekah Hope Gamwell



i didn't know Bekah too well. she lived down the hall on my floor in the mullet suite, which she helped name. we had a few conversations, but nothing too deep. she always said hi when she saw me, which is actually the last memory i have of her. she was walking from her summer on campus apt towards the student center or something else in that direction and i was walking back from work. all i remember is that she gave me a "heyya zippy" with a grin. a few days later, Becca Ward (now Inwards) called and asked, "Have you heard about Bekah?" "no." "she's dead. uh...i'm coming over." we talked and cried for awhile, which a bunch of us did alot of in our apt that week. it really hit me when i saw a picture of her, Becky, and John. the floodgates definitely overflowed at that point.

when we went to Becky's the next easter, she, Stef, Jeanette, and i went to Bekah's grave and Becky told us a bunch of wonderful stories about her. then we left to drive the 6 hrs back to school. i tried for at least a half hour to hold onto all i had just learned about her. a few tears later, Becky distracted me, which was probably for the best.

i've been in the area many times since then, but have only returned to the grave once...until this easter. i'm not sure why exactly...i just needed to go. it was harder than ever before. among other things, i realized how much i have forgotten.

well, before i start crying again...here are some other pics of her i found:

 

41's fall fest theme for 2001 was 80's with Bekah as their queen



 

right before symphony



 

she kinda liked self-portraits



 

another one...



 

and another...



 

a semi-normal pic

1 Comments:

  • At 11/10/2015 12:38:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I knew Bekah well, I was her friend, and she was mine, I spoke with her mom a few years ago after I found some of her old poems that she had left with me and my sister. I can only imagine the pain Thomas and Merily are feeling.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home