[this space intentionally left blank]

5.30.2008

Tornados hit Kearney and Aurora Thursday Night

40 train cars derailed, buildings at the fairgrounds destroyed, $40 million damage at the airport, residence hall at UNK damaged, apartment complexes damaged...sounds like it was an exciting night in Kearney.

I drove to Omaha from Oklahoma yesterday, so I wasn't aware of the storms until I got a call from Grandma wondering if I was ok. She was with my relatives near Wood River (45 minutes east of Kearney) and heard that several tornados hit. Most of my friends didn't have damage to their homes or cars, but I still can't get through to those on the north side of town (but no injuries or deaths have been reported, so I'm not too worried anymore). Payne Aschwege was quoted in an article as saying "You start thinking about people instead of things," which is so true!

Articles:
Tornadoes hit near Kearney, Grand Island (Kearney Hub)
Tornadoes turn Kearney area upside down (Kearney Hub)
Storm Photos (Kearney Hub)
Governor Declares State Of Emergency: Kearney, Aurora See Tornado Damage (KETV)
Tornadoes Strike Kearney, Aurora (KOLN/KGIN)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home