[this space intentionally left blank]

5.31.2006

having the cops called on me and almost getting hit by a train -- all in the same night

last week i was helping my sister and her fiancee Brian pack up their belongings (they're moving to omaha in 1.5 weeks after they get married). Brian lives on a corner, but we had 5 cars at his place so there wasn't much space to park. the only spot available close to his place was blocking a sidewalk. as soon as i parked, i hear this screeching voice -- "you can't block the sidewalk! people walk there! you can't block the sidewalk!" after a few minutes, a cop stops by bc the...um...lady (i'll be nice) had called me in. the cop rolled his eyes and said "she's a big pain for us. always calling people in for stupid stuff." he directed me as i crept to within an inch of my sister's bumper to satisfactorily clear the sidewalk.

as the 3 of us drove the vehicles back to my place, i was following my sister. in the last year or so, she has developed a phobia of trains -- she would rather not cross tracks or drive along them. but because of the low visibility for all of us drivers in the over-packed vehicles, we avoided the construction on the main route to my place and took a road that cut across the train tracks. one train starting crossing just as we approached the tracks. before it was through, another one passed from the other direction. the bars finally went up and my sister crossed the tracks in front of me. before she was over the first set of tracks, they started coming down again. surely i just imagined that the crossing bells had stopped ringing, i thought to myself. my sister hesitated in front of me, also not sure what was happening. she crossed as the bars came down directly in front of me. i couldn't back up at all because i had just crossed an intersection and a car was at my bumper, apparently just as impatient as i about having to wait through 2 trains and now a 3rd.

thankfully, the rest of the evening went relatively smoothly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home