[this space intentionally left blank]

8.01.2007

kearney had a 30% chance of rain today, but it quickly turned into a 100% chance! different areas of town had between 4.84" and 6.00" and a large portion of our streets were closed part of the day. thankfully, by the end of my lunch break, most of town had drained. i was still kinda worried that i wouldn't make it home in the afternoon (when the charter tech was coming to look at my lack-of-internet problem. i made it just fine until i saw my street. the charter guy and i parked at the end of the block and walked through the water (most of the lawns and sidewalks were flooded so there wasn't anywhere to walk on dry land). below is a picture from my driveway looking down the street to where my car was parked.


here's one that does a better job of showing the depth of the water:


this is a dodge ram that i watched drive through the water. here it's parked entirely on the sidewalk and has its floor mats drying on the back. (seeing that convinced me that my poor little saturn had no chance.)


thankfully by 6:30pm the street was dry and i could drive to my garage.

after showers like this, i'm always impressed at how quickly the drainage systems empty the streets. back in henderson it would take days to recover, but kearney takes only a few hours!

2 Comments:

  • At 8/02/2007 08:20:00 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    If you want rain, you should have been down here in Texas over the past couple months. For June and July, it rained 32 of the 61 days in those two months. From Jan.1-July31 it has rained 10 more inches than in the entire year of 2006. 25 more inches than in the entire year of 2005. The Tyler paper yesterday had a bunch of other crazy statistics like that. And it doesn't look like it will be stopping soon.

    Oh, hey Zippy! How's it going?
    Schooby

     
  • At 8/06/2007 03:46:00 PM, Blogger Kendra said…

    Hey Zippy,

    I missed the flood!! I'm glad that nothing was too bad though.

    Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit. Family took all my time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home