[this space intentionally left blank]

2.07.2003

i was regretting the past and fearing the future.
suddenly the Lord was speaking: "my name is I am"
He paused. i waited.
He continued, "When you live in the past with its mistakes and regrets, it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WAS.
when you live in the future, with its problems and fears, it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WILL BE.
when you live in this moment, it is not hard. I am here.
My name is I AM. --helen mallicoat


i made it thru the terrible part of my week! everything went decent and i even got a few hours of sleep each night!

one of my favorite parts of working in IT is that i get to go into offices and see all of the encouraging sayings, Bible verses, and pictures that each staff-member has in their cubicle / office. last semester i was in the registrar's office and i was struck by a card someone had on her monitor (the quote above is what was on it). i commented that i liked the card, so she went and made a copy for me! so now it's on my monitor...

two weeks ago, i needed to pick up the director of long-distance learning's computer. while he was finishing up some emails, i had a chance to look around his office. he had a painting on the wall by jean leon geromewhich which was titled the christian maryrs' last prayer. in it, a group of white-robbed Christians were praying in the coliseum in ancient rome. in the corner of the painting, lions were being let out to devour them. yet, the praying men appeared to be full of peace. it is a surprisingly bright picture; it's almost cheerful! i mentioned that i really liked the painting and he started sharing with me about some of the history of the martyring of Christians in the coliseum. he told me the reason rome stopped this practice was not because the people weren't entertained by it anymore, it was because Christians started having such an impact on roman culture. Christianity was spreading so fast and influencing rome so much that they were basically forced to stop it. they realized they weren't killing from a small minority anymore - it was quickly becoming a majority!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home